Tools, Techniques and Theories
There are a plethora of tools, techniques, toolkits and theories that can be applied to improvement and innovation schemes. Here we shed some light on the best evidenced and most used of these and sign-post some resources that may be of use to you.
We hope that this section of our site will help you in two particular ways: firstly to understand, when reading about an improvement project, why a particular tool was choosen and what theory underpinned the approach taken to the project and secondly to assist you in choosing the best tools and approaches for your own projects.
Theories and Models:
- NHS England ‘Innovation Connect’ and ‘Innovation Portal‘ (places to submit new ideas for which you are seeking support and an opportunity to join an innovation community)
- NHS England ‘Strengthening Innovation Leadership‘ (toolkit for boards and governing bodies)
- Innovation, Improvement, Evidence and Management
- Making a Case For Change (applying for funding) and Funding Sources
- NHS England Commissioning for Value Toolkit (Prevalence, Spend, Bed days, Mortality etc.)